Continuation of Insurance Coverage
In This Guide
- Understanding Continuation of Coverage
- Spouse and Dependents
- Discovery Benefits/Wex Inc. and Process
Understanding Continuation of Coverage
Baylor University's medical plan with UMR/United Healthcare is established as a Church Plan. Church Plans are exempt from Federal COBRA continuation coverage (ERISA) legislation.
Employees who are separating from service and their dependents who have been covered by medical/dental plans may apply for continued coverage for up to 18 months subject to the following conditions:
- Participants will have 60 days from the date they lose coverage or from the date they are sent their election notice from Discovery Benefits/Wex Inc. to elect continuation of coverage, whichever is later.
- Participants must not be eligible for Medicare or other employer group coverage.
- Participants must pay the total monthly medical insurance premium.
Employees who are separating from service and are participating in the Unreimbursed Medical (URM) flexible spending account may continue on this plan until the end of the year. The benefit to continue with this plan would be to allow submission of claims after the separation date.
Please review the Baylor Group Insurance Policy (BU-PP 410) for detailed information.
Spouse and Dependents
Dependents (spouse/children) who no longer meet eligibility requirements (divorce/limiting age 26) may continue as an individual on the medical/dental plans for up to 36 months. The requirements listed above still apply.
Discovery Benefits/Wex Inc. and Process
Discovery Benefits, LLC/Wex Inc. has been retained by Baylor University to serve as our insurance premium billing administrator. The Baylor University Group Medical Plan (the “Plan”) is a church plan that is exempt from the COBRA continuation rules in Title I of ERISA. All post-employment coverage provided under the Plan may be modified or eliminated by Baylor University at any time.
The following outlines the process for enrolling in benefits through Discovery Benefits/Wex Inc. upon the exit of an Eligible Employee:
- Receive a Welcome Letter from Discovery Benefits/Wex Inc. along with information about enrolling in benefits.
- Make any benefit elections as stated in the enrollment packet.
- Set up premium payments with Discovery Benefits/Wex Inc..
The Baylor University insurance premium billing service requires Monthly payment of premiums. Premium payments are due on the 1st day of each month. Premium payments in their entirety should be paid before the due date to ensure uninterrupted coverage. Failure to remit entire premium payment by the due date may/will terminate your participation in the Baylor University insurance premium billing service.