Paid Caregiver Leave
IMPORTANT: Please reference this webpage for specific details about the request and utilization of Sick Time or remote work time when in isolation or quarantine due to COVID-19 exposure or positive test.
In This Page
Paid Caregiver Leave
Introduced January 1, 2020, Baylor University's Paid Caregiver Leave Policy gives Eligible Employees paid time off to care for themselves, their spouse, children or parent who has a serious health condition. This policy also provides paid time off to Eligible Employees for exigency leave and military caregiver leave. Informed by Baylor's Christian commitment to cultivate a caring community, this policy enhances a robust benefits package for Baylor staff.
This benefit is available to staff and benefit eligible temporary employees immediately upon their employment with Baylor University.
Up to four (4) weeks (160 hours) of Paid Caregiver Leave for Eligible Employees. Paid Caregiver Leave will be available to eligible staff to care for themselves, their spouse, child, or parent who experience a serious health condition as defined by FMLA, and must be used within a 12 month period from the initial request. Paid Caregiver Leave will be available one time within a rolling 12 month period, which commences on the date of the initial request. The amount of caregiver leave is based upon the staff member's FTE. See Paid Caregiver Leave policy for details on this calculation.
How to Request
To Request Paid Caregiver leave, the Eligible Employee should:
- Complete the Request for Paid Caregiver Leave form (see BU-PP 421A) and provide it to your supervisor.
- Complete and submit FMLA request forms (see BU-PP 408A) and return only to Baylor Human Resources.
- Provide the Health Care Provider(s) with a copy of Baylor's FMLA Policy, the Certification of Health Care Provider form shown below that is applicable to your need and your job description:
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Employee's Serious Health Condition.
- Certification of Health Care Provider for Family Member's Serious Health Condition.
- Provide a copy of the military orders for those applying for Paid Caregiver Leave under an Exigency Leave Request.
To validate an absence, appropriate documentation may be required at any time if requested by the supervisor, department head, Human Resources, or Payroll.
- Who is eligible for Paid Caregiver Leave?
Staff and benefits eligible temporary employees.
- Do you have to be employed at Baylor for a certain amount of time before being eligible for Paid Caregiver Leave?
Eligible Employees are able to request Paid Caregiver Leave immediately upon employment.
- What can Paid Caregiver Leave be used for?
The purpose of Paid Caregiver Leave is to allow Eligible Employees paid time off to care for themselves, their spouse, children or parent who has a serious health condition. This policy also provides paid time off to Eligible Employees for exigency leave and military caregiver leave.
- Can I receive Paid Caregiver Leave for time away from work on or after January 1, 2020 with regards to a Paid Caregiver Leave qualifying event which occurred prior to the policy's effective date?
- Is there a certain timeframe in which the 4 weeks (160 hours) of Paid Caregiver Leave must be taken?
Paid Caregiver Leave must be taken within a rolling 12 month period, which commences on the date of the initial request.
- Must the 4 weeks (160 hours) for Paid Caregiver Leave be taken all at once?
Paid Caregiver Leave can be taken all at once or intermittently.
- How do I apply for this benefit?
A completed and signed Request for Paid Caregiver Leave Form and other required documentation should be submitted to Baylor Human Resources.
- Will my employment or benefits status be affected if I take Paid Caregiver Leave?
You will remain on full pay status while on Paid Caregiver Leave.
- How do I record my time taken for Paid Caregiver Leave?
For bi-weekly and monthly staff, Paid Caregiver Leave is tracked on Ignite and is maintained by the Payroll Office.
- What happens if a holiday falls during my Paid Caregiver Leave?
If an official University holiday occurs during the Eligible Employee's Paid Caregiver Leave, the Eligible Employee will receive holiday pay in lieu of Paid Caregiver Leave, provided the Eligible Employee is in pay status the day before and the day after the official University holiday.
- My spouse and I are both employed at Baylor. Do we both get 4 weeks (160 hours) of Paid Caregiver Leave or must we share this time between the two of us?
Both you and your spouse will each be given 4 weeks (160 hours) of Paid Caregiver Leave individually.
- The FMLA allows me up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for a Qualifying Event. Can I use Paid Caregiver Leave to extend that time?
Paid Caregiver Leave will run concurrently with FMLA, therefore, it will not extend FMLA leave.
- May I donate any of my unused Paid Caregiver Leave to another employee at Baylor?
Paid Caregiver Leave may not be donated to other employees at Baylor.
- Who should I call if I have questions about the Paid Caregiver Leave benefit?
For questions, please contact Baylor Human Resources by calling 254.710.2000 or emailing askHR@baylor.edu.