Temporary Full-Time Lecturer Benefit Election Info
In This Page
- Temporary Full-Time Lecturer Benefit Election Information
- Temporary Full-Time Lecturer Benefits Timeline
- Discovery Benefits
- Completing a Life Event
Temporary Full-Time Lecturer Benefit Election Information
EFFECTIVE May 31, 2020: Change in premium payment during summer months for temporary full-time lecturer employees. Baylor is transitioning the way that certain benefit premiums are paid by temporary full-time lecturer employees during the summer months of June and July. This change will only apply to those temporary full-time lecturers who will be returning in a full-time position for the Fall 2020 semester, even if the employee is teaching at Baylor University over the summer semester(s). This change will address the need for multiple premium payments that these employees currently experience in August of each year.
Temporary Full-Time Lecturer Benefits Timeline
- Discovery Benefits mails a welcome enrollment packet to the employee's home. The welcome packet contains information about enrolling in Continuation of Coverage as well as making payments for coverage. Employee has 30 days to elect into Continuation of Coverage.
- If the employee decides to enroll into Continuation of Coverage via Discovery Benefits in order to continue their medical, dental, and vision insurance during the months of June and July then the employee must complete the enrollment form(s) and return to Discovery Benefits on or before June 30 for coverage starting June 1. If the employee does not enroll in coverage via Discovery Benefits then all insurance through Baylor will be cancelled as of May 31 and the employee will not have coverage during June and July.
- Once the employee has enrolled in Continuation of Coverage via Discovery Benefits, the employee will begin making payments for June and July premiums directly to Discovery Benefits by the stated due dates included in the welcome packet.
- Employee receives notification to complete a Life Event to enroll in any needed benefits that would begin August 1.
- Employee will begin to have benefit premiums deducted from their Baylor pay and payments to Discovery Benefits will end.
Discovery Benefits, LLC has been retained by Baylor University to serve as our Continuation of Coverage insurance premium billing administrator.
The Discovery Benefits Participant Services team is available Monday through Friday from 6:00am to 9:00pm Central Time, with the exception of some major holidays. Employees can reach Discovery Benefits by calling 1.866.451.3399 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about Discovery Benefits, visit their website at discoverybenefits.com
Completing a Life Event
- Am I required to continue my health insurance over the summer months?
No, Continuation of Coverage via Discovery Benefits is optional. However, if you do not continue coverage, then you will not have medical, dental, or vision coverage for June and July.
- Will my premiums increase during the summer months?
If an employee is returning to work at Baylor University full-time in the Fall semester, the employee will be allowed to pay the active employee premiums. The Welcome Packet that the employee receives from Discovery Benefits will contain the premium amounts that you will owe for your coverage.
If an employee will not be returning to work at Baylor full-time, the employee will pay the full premiums for Continuation of Coverage.
- I do not have a contract to work in the following fall/spring semester, will I still have coverage?
Employees who will not be returning to work full-time at Baylor can choose to elect in Continuation of Coverage up to 18 months via Discovery Benefits.
- I am going to teach during the summer months, how will my coverage work?
If a temporary full-time lecturer picks up a secondary teaching assignment during the summer months, the employee will have the option to elect into Continuation of Coverage through Discovery Benefits. No premium payments will be taken from Baylor pay during the summer months. If you continue your coverage for June and July, any Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) or Health Savings Accounts (HSA) deductions will be taken from summer pay, if available.
- Where can I learn more about Continuation of Coverage?
Employees can learn more at our Continuation of Coverage webpage.
Please contact Baylor Human Resources by calling 254.710.2000 or emailing askHR@baylor.edu if you have any questions.